Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Mouse O'Clock

My firsties and I spent last week learning about and perfecting our knowledge of telling time. In first grade, they only have to be able to tell time to the half hour. This blew my mind after teaching second grade where I taught five minute intervals. (I'm not going to lie - after my firsties mastered the half hour, we moved onto discussing the five minute intervals as well. Never hurts to give them extra knowledge!)

I love doing crafts, especially towards the end of the week when things get a bit hectic and I need a break from the mundane. Last week, we took all of our clock knowledge and used it to create our own sentences about a mouse running up the clock. I started the week by reading the nursery rhyme of "Hickory Dickory Dock," so the kids really enjoyed this ending activity.  Here are a few of their cute mice.




https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7NHbGd4HpUbdG8wcEN6eUgxS1E/edit?usp=sharing

This will eventually be part of the time unit I'm working on, but for now, I'm sharing it as a FREEBIE. To get the clock sheet, just click on the last picture (the one featuring the work hanging in the hallway). 

I explained to the students how they were going to do this craft and then I showed them my mouse. I cut an example body out of paper, but I didn't give them detailed instructions or a template to trace. This is how they all turned out unique! I love the fact that each mouse is it's own unique creation.

Happy Wednesday! I hope you're having a good week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment