Wednesday, July 10, 2013

For me? Wow!!

Let's have a quick vocabulary lesson so you can fully understand this post. :)
 
liebster: sweetheart, beloved person, darling  (Thank you dictionary.com!)
 
Imagine my surprise and delight when I innocently open my email and find that I have two new comments on my latest post. Both comments were nominating me for the Liebster Award. Since this is the first award I've received for any of my blogs, it was a great start to my day!
 
 
 
After reading the comments, I headed over to check out this award. It's an award given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. I am quite honored to have received this award.
 
Help me thank the lovely bloggers who nominated me for this award by visiting their blogs:
 
 
 
So what do I have to do to accept this award?
 
1. Link back to the blog that nominated me. I already did that!! (See above!)

2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers. (This was harder than I thought it'd be. A lot of the blogs I follow are popular ones!)

3. Answer the questions posted for you by your nominator. (See below where I've answered BOTH sets!)

4. Share 11 random facts about yourself. (Yep. I don't know that I revealed much new about myself, but they sure are random!)

5. Create 11 questions for your nominees. (They are at the end!)

6. Contact your nominees by commenting on their blog or sending them an email to communicate the nomination. (I will be heading to each blog after this posts to inform them of the nomination.)
 
Nominations:
 
These ladies all have super cute blogs with great ideas! Check them out. :)
 
Now for the questions from Emily!
 

1) If you could have any superpower what would it be? Why?
I would love to be able to teleport. I love to travel but it gets expensive when you factor in hotel costs, gas, tickets, etc. Teleporting would help cut costs.
 

2) What is your favorite teaching item? Why?
My favorite teaching item are my stuffed animals. This past year, I had three stuffed animals in my classroom that earned personalities of their own over the course of the year. The kids loved them! I'll have to blog on my use of stuffed animals in the classroom sometime...
 

3) If you could relive a day in your past, what day would it be? Why?
Wow. I don't even know on this one. Since this is my teaching blog, I'll keep it teaching related. I would relive awards day from this past year. It was a day of celebrating and rewarding my students for their individual accomplishments. I do believe I was close to tears by the end of it.
 

4) What are you looking forward to most about the upcoming school year?
I'm looking forward to adding another grade level onto my resume. While changing grades scares me to death, it also excites me to try something different. It never hurts to broaden one's experiences, especially in teaching. The change from year to year is one of the reasons I love my job after all.
 

5) Why did you decide to start blogging?
I'm a writer at heart - I always have been. I went through a period of not writing as much and decided that blogging might help me get back to that. Along with a couple other life changes, that's what spurred me to start my blog this summer. I don't regret the decision at all.
 

6) If someone were to write a book about you, what would it be called?
The Girl who Pushes On
 

7) What is your favorite book to read to students?
My favorite book to read to students? Can I answer with all of them? I love my morning read alouds with my students. It really helps set the tone for the day. Plus, it's one time of the day when I am almost guaranteed to have their attention.
 

8) What is a classroom item you don't have that you wish you did? Why?
I wish I had a cute read aloud chair. I have had several read aloud chairs over the past three years, but none as cute as I'd like. Maybe I should add that to my summer to do list...
 

9) What advice would you give a first year teacher?
Try everything! Don't be afraid to try and definitely take advice from others. Keep in mind that not everything you try will work out and that's okay. You have to find what works for you!
 

10) Why did you decide to become a teacher?
According to my mother, I decided I wanted to be a teacher in second grade. I'm not sure why, but I knew that's what I wanted to do. As I worked my way towards the goal, I knew it was the one for me. I love helping kids discover who they are as they learn new things.
 

11) Who is your hero? Why?
I have to pick two heros - my parents. They have helped me through all of the ups and downs of my life. I don't know where I'd be without either of them. Dad is the rock of the family that has always supported my endeavors and made sure I got everything I want (if it's within his power). Mom has stood by me through the ups and downs and is always willing to give her advice (even when I don't want to hear it). Together they have crafted me into the person I am. I hope I have a love as strong as theirs someday.
 
 Now for the questions from Brittney!
 

1. What was your best Halloween costume ever?
My best Halloween costume ever? I love dressing up as a pirate, but I'm not sure that I've ever used that as a Halloween costume before. I do use it frequently for Renaissance Festivals.
2. What is your favorite meal?
My favorite meal is anything with breadsticks. I love breadstick! I also love Macaroni and Cheese.

3. What reminds you of home?
Home reminds me of home. My parents live a mile or two up the road so I get to visit often. They are the sitters of my furbaby after all.

4. What is your favorite article of clothing?
I love a simple black dress. It goes with so much and can be dressed up or down.

5. If you could meet any character from a book, which would it be?
I would love to meet Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. That is my absolute favorite book! I don't even know how many times I've read it.

6. What do you obsess over?
Seems you get to learn one of my vices. I obsess over the things in life that I can't control. This varies depending on what's going on in my life. I'm learning to let go of the things I can't control. I'm finding if I focus on the things I can control, then I'm much happier!

7. What is your favorite word?
I'm not sure. It varies a lot. Last night, the phrase "dearie me" was delighting me because one of the characters in the book I'm writing seemed to like it.

8. What makes you laugh the most?
People make me laugh the most. Being surrounded by people - big or small - is typically what gets me laughing. It doesn't matter who - my students, my friends, my family, my boyfriend, sometimes even a complete stranger can make me laugh.

9. What is your favorite classroom office-type item?
I love paper! There is so much you can do with it and so many things you can make from it. Plus, it comes in lots of pretty colors and patterns!

10. What grade was your favorite in school?
I loved them all. I think I have good memories from all of my schooling. I don't believe I can pick a favorite on this one!

11. What is the last vacation you went on?
The last long vacation I took was to Arkansas. My boyfriend moved from SC to CA (yep, we're long distance now!) and I went as far as Arkansas with him to meet his family.
The last short vacation I took (just an overnight trip) was to Charlotte, NC to IKEA and Concord Mills. Nothing like a little shopping with mom and sis.
 
I do apologize for the length of this post, but I must follow the rules.
 
Now for my 11 facts. I'll keep them short. Feel free to ask questions if you'd like me to elaborate!
 
1. I worked as an assistant for two years before I found a teaching position.
 
2. I live alone with just my furbaby for company.
 
3. My boyfriend is in the Coast Guard and I'm learning how to navigate a long distance relationship now.
 
4. I'm moving from second grade to first grade this year.
 
5. I am currently writing a novel.
 
6. My classroom is going to be pirate themed this year. I'm excited for it.
 
7. I'm trying to get into freelance photography.
 
8. I love to craft and create things.
 
9. I am trying hard to reconnect with some of my hobbies now that I have more time in my schedule.
 
10. I love being busy. I'm actually one of the few people who misses work in the summertime. (At least this summer I do!)
 
11. You can learn lots more about me at my personal blog: Stolen Moments.
 
 
And last, but not least - the questions for my nominees! Make sure you check out their blogs for the answers!
 
1. How many pets do you have?
 
2. What memory from this past school year makes you smile?
 
3. What television show would you recommend for someone looking to start a new show?
 
4. How are you spending your summer?
 
5. If you were to do something other than teach, what would it be?
 
6. What is your favorite quote?
 
7. Do you have a favorite recipe? If so, what is it?
 
8. What makes you smile?
 
9. What is your favorite grade to teach?
 
10. What are you looking forward to in the upcoming school year?
 
11. What is your favorite thing in your classroom?
 
 Whew. I'm tired just from writing all of that. The apartment needs my momentum though... Back to organizing!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pam,
    I just read your post- I obsess over things I can't control too! Thank you for your nomination! Funny enough, I was just nominated on Monday for this award... the link to check it out is {here}

    Thank you and Congrats!
    Christy
    Crayons and Whimsy

    ReplyDelete