Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Classroom Decorating Series - Fairy Tale

I have been putting a lot of time and effort into décor for the classroom for thi s year. I'm super excited about the theme I've picked and I feel like things are finally going to match in my room! It's been a long journey getting to the point where I'm completely happy with things. I'm looking forward to pulling it all together. :)

While thinking about this year, I took a trip down memory lane to look at some of my other classroom set ups. This led to a new series of posts for the blog! I'm going to share past themes with you. I hope this helps me get new ideas of what to update and change. Maybe you'll even get an idea for your classroom. In any case, it'll be fun to share the old pictures! I would love to hear your comments about these!

Up first is a fairy tale theme. This is from my first year of almost teaching. I say almost teaching because I ended up being an assistant in the kindergarten classroom when the district moved teachers around after the ten day count. (That's a whole other story!)

This is a side view of the room complete with a "Back to School" bulletin board. I wanted to combine fairy tale and summer so I created a sand castle surrounded by the kids' names on pelicans (the school mascot).

This was the door welcoming the students to the room. Each kid had their name on a crown.

This board served to keep parents up to date and share what our focus was. There is also a Rapunzel and her prince - this was intended for whole class management. The prince would climb her hair each time the class received a compliment.

This was the reading nook - complete with fairy tale posters and stuffed animals. I love having stuffed animals in my reading centers!

 This is a view from the doorway. You can see papers out for the first day and a welcome sing up to create kids. I had lots of help from family, friends, and other teachers to get this room ready in about 3 days. (It was a blank slate when I walked in.)

This is the front of the room. You can see felt pieces on the felt board for story telling. You can also see my color shield that was used for behavior management. I wish I had known about the clip charts then. My shield would have fit in well with minor adjustments (ability to move up and down for example!)

Another whole room view. You can even see me on the right. I wonder who took the picture?
 
 
Well, that's the highlights of my fairy tale theme from the first year. I didn't get to use this theme for long because the teacher who came in switched almost everything around. I did enjoy putting it together though!
 
Up next in the series: Hollywood Theme
 
 
Also, head on over to my TPT store and see my new uploads! I uploaded Pirate Behavior - Clip Chart and Pirate Theme Set - Black Dot ABC Labels. Like I said, getting excited for my new décor!

No comments:

Post a Comment